- 1kg Kubbe/calms
- 1/2 coconut grated (make 2 portions)
- 1 big table spoon coriander seeds
- 7-8 red chilli
- 1 tea spoon turmeric powder
- Small raw mango or (Alternatives for raw mango are: Bhinda sol or Tamarind or Vatamba sol )
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 black pepper
- 2 cloves
- Small piece Ginger
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 Drum sticks cut into small pieces
- One Big Potato cut into small pieces
- Salt per taste (Rock salt)
- Wash the calms and cook them in a vessel with some water until the water heats up. The mouth of the calms will open up due to this heating. Now let it cool down for some time. Remove the calms from the shell and dont discard the cooked water, as this has lot of flavours of calms and use it for the curry.
- Masala Preparation: In a pan heat some coconut oil, add the coriander seeds and roast until it is light red in colour. Now add red chilli, chopped onion, garlic, pepper, cloves, ginger, half portion of the grated coconut (1st portion) and roast them until the onion turns light pink in colour. Now let this cool down for a while, then grind into fine paste/masala along with the remaining grated coconut (2nd portion) and turmeric powder.
- Curry/Ambat Preparation: Heat some oil in a pan, add 1 chopped onion and fry until slight pink in colour. Now add the calms along with cooked water. Add the drumstick, potato pieces, raw mango (or tamarind/Bhinda sol/Vatamba sol) and salt as per taste. Close the lid and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Now add the masala and mix well. Add some water to adjust the consistency and bring it to a boil.
- Khubbe ambat/Calms curry is ready to be served hot with rice.
Alternatives for raw mango are: Bhinda sol or Tamarind or Vatamba sol