1 cup Toor Daal, 1 small tomato, 4-5 green chillies, small piece ginger, 1/4 tea spoon turmeric powder(optional), 1 tea spoon mustard seeds, 1-2 red chilli, curry leaves, hing/Asaofoetida, Ghree, salt to taste.
* Wash 1 cup toor daal and soak in water for 1 hour (Quantity for 4 persons)
* Pressure cook toor daal for 1 whistle (1 cup daal + 2 cup water)
* In a vessel, pour the cooked toor daal, add one small chopped tomato, 4-5 slit green chillies, hing/asafoetida diluted in water (it can be added while seasoning also),
salt as per taste (we have used rock salt)
* Add 1/4 tea spoon turmeric powder (this is optional), and bring it to a boil
* For seasoning add 1-2 spoon ghee, 1 tea spoon mustard seeds, 1 red chilli, curry leaves
* Add the seasoning to the daal and give it a mix
* Authentic Daali Toi is ready to be served hot with ghee on top.
Adding Turmeric powder is optional, it is just to give it a enhanced colour and flavour. Use Ghee for seasoning/tadka to give a very yummy flavour to the dish